Call for a Consultation 818-337-3595 818-337-3595


Pasadena and Woodland Hills Family Law Firm Can Help You Establish Paternity and Parentage Rights for Your Child

End your paternity battle with the help of the experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Steven A. Blunt

The Law Offices of Steven A. Blunt educates its clients on the rules regarding parentage, establishing parentage and enforcing parentage rights in the state of California. Our firm provides assistance in setting up support and visitation arrangements in the best interest of the children affected. Where necessary, we are prepared to litigate these issues aggressively to protect your rights.

How do I establish parentage?

Paternity proceedings, referred to as parentage proceedings or parentage rights in the state of California, establish parentage and result in orders for custody, visitation and support of minor children of unmarried parties.

If you are seeking help in raising such a child on your own, or are seeking to establish custodial rights to  such a child, a parentage or paternity proceeding will provide such relief. The legal team at the Law Offices of Steven A. Blunt can help you establish parentage and pursue your legal rights as a parent.

What rights do fathers have after divorce?

The California rules pertaining to custody, visitation and support of minor children are “gender blind,” meaning that a father in a divorce proceeding, or one who has already established paternity in a parentage case, has the same rights and obligations concerning the child as does the mother. These include:

  • Spending time with children
  • Having an equal say in important decisions
  • Participating as a parent
  • Having access to school and medical records
  • Participating in medical treatment decisions
  • Parenting without interference
  • Disciplining the child(ren)

Our experienced family law attorneys can answer your questions and help you pursue your rights if you are a father.

Can parentage rights be taken away?

In California, the courts may terminate your parentage rights for several reasons. This is a serious and permanent action, and is never granted lightly by the courts or as a means of solving custody, visitation or support issues. Parentage rights may be terminated if:

  • The court finds that a parent has abused, neglected or abandoned a child.
  • The court finds that a parent suffers from a physical or mental incapacity that prevents he or she from caring for the child.
  • The child is adopted by another person with or without the consent of the parent whose rights will be extinguished.
  • The court finds that a relationship with the parent is not in the child’s best interest.
  • A minor of at least 14 petitions the court for emancipation and the court grants it.

Call the Law Offices of Steven A. Blunt today to establish parentage rights

Our certified family law specialists can educate you on parentage rights in California and help you establish paternity. Call or come by our offices, conveniently located in Pasadena or Woodland Hills. Call 818-337-3595 or contact us online.